This turned out to be a very satisfying weekend project. Although I must admit I put in several hours inventorying and organizing all components which made for a very smooth process of “stuffing” the circuit board.
There are images of the finished board
Probably the more challenging part of this kit will be machining the housing for it. The template provided with the kit is not drawn to scale. So I’ll need to make some careful measurements before going to the drill press.
I’m really excited about this unit because it will give me the chance to explore running a separate transmitter and receiver for the first time since my novice days back in the 1960s. Only now, instead of a manual ceramic and copper knife switch to switch between receive and transmit modes, I’ve got this slick solid state device that will make it appear almost as if I am running a transceiver.